I have always loved road trips, probably because when I was growing up my family would drive to destinations for our vacations. So this past winter, my boyfriend and I planned a road trip down the west coast. Leaving from Portland and ending in Joshua Tree, CA. There was a ton of driving within 10 days, but well worth it. Side note, I have a list of 30 things to do before I turn 30 this summer and our trip was a chance for me to cross off some things off my list! Here are some of the details & pictures:
1. Staying in a treehouse in southern Oregon. It is called Out'N'About Treesort and is located in Takilma, OR. We got to the treesort after it had gotten dark and I'll admit it was kinda scary finding our way up to the treehouse... Waking up in the trees was pretty amazing though!
2. Exploring the area around Takilma. We drove up to the Oregon Caves, yet forgot to check before hand if they were even open... Hehe... They were not, but we got to play in the beautiful snow. The other part of the day we walked along the Illinois River and saw the cutest little jackrabbit.
3. Next stop, Yosemite. This was a place that neither one of us had been to, so we had no idea what to expect. Yosemite is such a breathtaking beautiful place. We stayed in the heated tents in Curry Village. The tent was nice and toasty, which was perfect after a full day of hiking in the snow to the upper falls. We plan to go back to visit sometime in the summer.
4. LA. Having lived in LA for about three years, it is dear to my heart and is the stomping grounds for some of my best friends! We decided to stay in Manhattan at The Belamar, so we could be close to friends and of course eat at one of my favorite restaurants, Simmzy's.
5. Palm Springs for NYE. It was a colorful kinda night staying at the Saguaro. The hotel was alight... I would much rather stay at The Parker next time! After partying the night away on NYE, the next morning we ate an amazing breakfast at The Parker and explored the stunning grounds. Ummm, dreamy.
6. Smell the stinky air at the Salton Sea, which is about 45 minutes outside of Palm Springs. Having heard of this interesting place, we had to make a quick afternoon trip to see what it was all about. We got there just around sunset and walked along the beach. Sounds pleasant, which the sky was gorgeous but the smell was just horrific. There were dead fish laying around on the beach and other things I will refrain from saying... Let's just say, stinky!!!
7. Joshua Tree. Mojave Sands was such a rad place to stay. It was an old motel that has been redone and has a cool retro vibe to it. We explored the park, climbed some rocks and saw the first Joshua Tree I'd ever seen. On our way out of town we drove through Pioneertown and ate at Pappy & Harriets.
8. LA. Yep, went back to LA to see some more friends and go to the Stanley Kubrick exhibit at the LACMA. We stayed in Culver City at the Culver Hotel, it was really nice and a wonderful way to end our trip!